Dentistry is a broad and diverse branch of medicine that consists of the study, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of many disorders, diseases, and conditions. Many practices focus on different aspects of your teeth and gums to help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. The three most common areas of dentistry include preventative, restorative, and cosmetic. Learn more about these types of dentistry and what patients can expect when they visit each type of dentist.
Preventative dentistry refers to activity taken by a patient and/or dentist to prevent oral health problems. The primary goal of preventative dentistry is to keep the teeth, gums, and mouth healthy and free of tooth decay, gum disease, and other conditions. Being proactive about your oral health is critical to keeping your teeth and gums in optimal condition for a lifetime. Your Clermont dentist can help you prevent oral disease with the following preventative services:
- Exams – Clermont dental practices recommend that patients undergo routine dental exams, ideally every six months. During an exam, the dentist will examine each tooth to look for gum disease or signs of decay.
- X-Rays – Routine dental X-rays help dentists capture a more detailed image of the interior of the teeth and gums.
- Cleanings – Preventative dentists offer several types of cleanings: scaling and root planing treatment for patients with periodontal bone loss, full-mouth debridement for harder debris, and prophylaxis for light debris.
- Sealants – Dental sealants create a barrier between plaque and enamel, helping to ward off tooth decay.
Restorative dentistry refers to the repairing or replacing of damaged teeth. This type of dentistry is important for several reasons. First, restorations can be used to fill empty spaces to maintain teeth alignment. Replacing damaged teeth can also make it easier to follow good oral hygiene habits and prevent tooth decay. Finally, missing teeth can impact your appearance and self-esteem. Restorative dentistry can help you restore your smile. Some of the most common restorative dental services include the following:
- Fillings – When a tooth forms a cavity, the decay must be removed before it has a chance to spread. During a routine filling, the decay is removed and the tooth is filled with filling material, such as amalgam or composite.
- Bridges & Crowns – Bridgework and crowns offer patients a reliable solution for dental problems caused by root canal therapy, diseases, large decay, or trauma.
- Root Canals – Root canals are commonly performed to save natural teeth and prevent the need for bridges or implants in the future. During a root canal, the diseased pulp of the tooth is removed and the root canal is cleaned and sealed.
- Extractions – Tooth extractions are typically a last resort when a natural tooth cannot be saved.
Cosmetic dentistry aims to help patients who have stained, discolored, broken, chipped, worn, misshaped, or misaligned teeth. A cosmetic dentist can correct these “flaws” and help patients acquire a more aesthetically-pleasing smile. With modern advances in dentistry, a cosmetic dentist in Clermont can make teeth appear whiter, replace missing teeth, and everything in between. Here’s a look at one of the most popular types of cosmetic dentistry services available:
- Whitening – Teeth whitening can significantly improve the color of your teeth to provide you with a brighter, whiter smile. At Hancock Village Dental, we recommend convenient take-home trays that are custom-made for your teeth. The take-home trays include a whitening gel that is applied for 14 consecutive days for one hour per day.
Schedule an Appointment
While all dentists focus on the health and function of the mouth, there are a number of specialties in the dentistry field. The type of dentist in Clermont you choose to visit will depend on the problem you are experiencing.
At Hancock Village Dental, we are proud to offer preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dental services to our patients. Our family-owned and operated practice welcomes patients of all ages to our modern, comfortable office equipped with the newest technologies. For more information about the types of dentistry or to schedule an appointment with one of our Clermont dentists, contact Hancock Village Dental.