Is your smile ready for the summer season? Now is the time to start thinking about summer vacations, spending more time outdoors, and relaxing in the warm weather. However, in the midst of all the preparations, most people forget about their teeth and smiles. If your teeth are not up to your liking, there are some steps to get your smile picture ready right in time for summer.
1. Get a Professional Teeth Cleaning
Getting a professional teeth cleaning from a dental hygienist can greatly improve the appearance of your teeth. If you have yellow or brown stains on your teeth, getting your teeth cleaned can remove most of these stains so that your teeth appear whiter. The other benefit is that teeth cleanings come with dental x-rays. You’ll also be checked for signs of gum disease. Depending on how long it’s been since your last dental appointment, you may need one of three types of teeth cleanings:
- Prophylaxis Teeth Cleaning – This type of cleaning is considered standard and it performed by a dental hygienist. It removes all the plaque and tartar from your teeth and below the gum line. Most dentists recommend that individuals receive this type of cleaning every six months.
- Full-Mouth Debriding – If it’s been awhile since your last teeth cleaning and you have tough stains or extremely hard debris on your teeth and below your gums, you’ll need a full mouth debriding. This is a slightly deeper cleaning than the Prophylaxis cleaning.
- Scaling and Root Planing – This type of cleaning is recommended for individuals with periodontal disease. It is a very deep cleaning that involves scraping away all the debris on the visible parts of the teeth, as well as the roots and deep below the gum line. This type of cleaning may take more than one appointment with the dental hygienist.
2. Get Any Needed Dental Work Performed
If you’ve been putting off dental work, like getting missing teeth replaced, having deep cavities filled, or getting a root canal and crown, now may be the time to get these procedures done. Missing teeth and silver colored fillings can decrease the appearance of your teeth. Thankfully, missing teeth can be filled in with bridges that match your existing tooth color. Silver colored or amalgam fillings can be replaced with tooth-colored fillings, which helps protect the tooth while giving you a summer-ready smile.
3. Consider Teeth Whitening
If your teeth are still yellow or have stains after your dental cleaning, consider having your teeth professionally whitened with the KDR teeth whitening system. This procedure offers consistent, reliable results without the use of lasers or lights. This system involves at-home whitening trays, which are used for two weeks. Once the two-weeks have elapsed, there is a final treatment session that takes about 90 minutes. After the treatments, you will have noticeably whiter teeth and a brighter smile.
4. Consider Teeth Straightening
If you’ve had braces before and noticed that your teeth or starting to shift back into their original positions, you can improve the appearance of your smile by using clear aligners. These aligners are incredibly hassle-free and invisible. You can even take your clear aligners on vacation with you. There is also no need for a change in diet to wear them. All you have to do is wear your clear aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day. They should be removed for eating or drinking. The best part is that they won’t impact your summer pictures. Since the aligners are clear, only you, your dentist, and your family members will know you are straightening your teeth. Typical treatment times usually last between six and 12 months.
To learn all the ways we can help you improve your smile before your summer vacation and to schedule an appointment, Contact us at Hancock Village Dental by dialing 352-989-5815.