Next time you need to switch out your old toothbrush for a new one consider passing by the standard plastic toothbrush and picking up a bamboo toothbrush. What is a bamboo toothbrush and why are so many people using it? That is exactly what we will explain!
What are Bamboo Toothbrushes?
Bamboo toothbrushes have been around for a while, by some estimates they have been around for centuries, but it wasn’t until recently that they increased in popularity. So, what are bamboo toothbrushes?
Bamboo toothbrushes are exactly what they sound like. They are toothbrushes that have handles that are made out of an all-natural, biodegradable material known as bamboo and bristles that are made out of nylon or nylon4.
Why are People Ditching the Plastic Toothbrush for Bamboo Toothbrushes?
The biggest reason bamboo toothbrushes are becoming so popular is that they are environmentally friendly.
It is estimated that it could take 50, 60 or even 100 years for a plastic toothbrush to be broken down once it is tossed into the garbage. While that doesn’t sound like such a big deal when the item is so small, it is when you combine it with the millions of other plastic toothbrushes that are thrown out every year and all the other plastic materials that take just as long to break down that leads to landfills that are overflowing with materials that can’t go anywhere. Luckily, bamboo toothbrushes break down faster.
By using biodegradable materials, a bamboo toothbrush can be used then discarded without fear that it will take up room in the landfill. The bamboo material quickly breaks down in a matter of months.
Other Reasons Why People are Switching to Bamboo Toothbrushes
Being environmentally friendly is just one of the many reasons why people are switching from plastic toothbrushes to bamboo toothbrushes. Other reasons why people are making the switch to this new eco-friendly toothbrush include:
- Bamboo is antimicrobial so there is no fear of harmful bacteria will start to grow and spread on the handle of your toothbrush.
- Bamboo toothbrushes can be easily tossed into the compost pile for people who choose to compost
- Depending on the manufacturer, the entire toothbrush from the bristles to the handle is easily biodegradable which means nothing is left behind to pollute the planet
- Bamboo toothbrushes are just as effective at cleaning your teeth
- Bamboo toothbrushes have a very sleek, modern look that allows them to easily blend in with your bathroom’s surrounding decor
- Bamboo toothbrushes can be customized which makes them a great marketing tool for dentists
Where Can You Find Bamboo Toothbrushes?
Bamboo toothbrushes used to be extremely difficult to find in the stores. However, since there is a huge demand for them more and more stores are starting to carry them. Bamboo toothbrushes can be found in natural food stores, major retailers, and online manufacturers.
Are There Any Special Cleaning Instructions for Bamboo Toothbrushes?
The great thing about bamboo toothbrushes is you don’t have to do anything special to clean them. You clean them just like your regular toothbrush!
Other Ways to Make Your Oral Care Routine Healthier and More Natural
Switching your plastic toothbrush to a bamboo toothbrush isn’t the only thing you can do make your oral care routine more natural. The following are some examples of other changes you can do that will make your oral care routine more natural:
- Switch to an all-natural toothpaste. All-natural toothpastes will not only help clean your teeth and gums, but they will do so without exposing you to harmful chemicals and ingredients.
- Switch your mouthwash to an all-natural solution. Just like toothpaste, traditional mouthwashes have harmful chemicals in them. Switch to an all-natural solution, such as a mouthwash that is made out of aloe vera, to freshen your breath without worrying about your exposure to harmful chemicals.
- Ditch the chewing gum. Instead of chewing gum with can contain artificial ingredients and harmful chemicals, consider chewing on fresh herbs. This will freshen your breath in a natural way.
Looking for other ways to make your oral care routine healthier and more natural then consider scheduling an appointment with the dentist at Hancock Village Dental. Our dentist will be able to provide you with recommendations on how you can make your daily oral care routine more natural. Call us today to schedule an appointment!